5/5/09

Trailrunning in Pisgah National Forest - The North Slope Trail



One of my favorite runs to do after a day at the office is the North Slope Trail in Pisgah National Forest. I pull into the visitor center and park near the second entrance. There is a trail right by this NW end of the building which is part of the "Exercise Trail." I stay left on the trail and quickly cross over 276 and the Davidson River. I head right along the Davidson River and past the Davidson River Campground until the second sign for the North Slope Trail which is a true "Y" intersection, where I head left and uphill.

The trail winds up steeply through rhododendrons and sycamore trees until you reach the Art Loeb Connector. I stay left at this intersection, heading downhill and breathing a sigh of relief because I am finished with the most uphill sections of the loop. From here, the trail meanders across a ridge before descending down towards the campground, which I avoid by staying left at several intersections. Eventually, it spits me back out by the Davidson river at the first turn off I passed for the North Slope Trail. I head right along the Davidson, back over the bridge & 276 to the visitor center. It is a lovely run, maybe 4 miles, and I have yet to encounter much traffic on the further sections of the loop. There are some minor creek beds to cross and a few bridges. On a hot day, you could of course take a dip in the Davidson River to cool off at the end!

* Don't forget a good, wicking pair of socks and some sturdy trail shoes to keep your feet happy the WHOLE loop!


More info on hiking trails and waterfalls in Pisgah National Forest here

No comments: