11/17/08

Perfect Conditions at Rumbling Bald- Winter is Here


Happy Birthday to me! I can't think of a better way to usher in 32 than perfect temps giving way to a great day of climbing at Rumbling Bald with Patrick Weaver and Rodney Lanier. I pulled out the down coat as Patrick picked me up in the AMI Subaru on our way to meet Rodney. We chatted it up as I watched the thermometer slowly creep through the thirties and edge closer to the 40s. "Gonna be sticky" I said as we greeted Rodney at the RB parking area. On the agenda was a warm up with Comatose (5.8) followed by some 5.9 face climbing, an attempt on Rusty Redneck (5.10c) and hopefully some laps on the super classic finger crack Shredded Wheat (5.11a). Patrick led as I took pictures and Rodney and I commented that it was nice to by guided for once! All was well until I racked up for Shredded Wheat. I haven't exactly been climbing alot but this one has such bomber gear that there was no reason not to give it a go. I realized that was a mistake as I blasted out of the crux for a 18' ride onto a zero Metolius TCU. Hadn't taken a whip like that in a while. I climbed back up to my high point and climbed through next go, realizing that a botched sequence is the difference between falling and sending. Rodney gave a strong go on the top rope and Patrick waltzed up using expert finger crack technique. I gave a go on top rope and dialed in my sequence remebering what to do the next time on lead.
I got two great gifts today, a humbling experience keeping me honest on the rock and the companionship of good friends and great weather. Happy Birthday to me!
Phil Hoffmann

1 comment:

Nate Furman said...

Dude, nice work! It must have been all that Bachar energy you channeled. Congrats on the nice day of climbing and HAPPY BIRTHDAY