7/12/10

Chaco Sandal Review


In 2004, I was preparing to hike the Camino de Santiago, a 500 mile pilgrimage to the Spanish town of Santiago de Compostela, starting on the French side of the Pyrenees in St Jean Pied de Port. I needed a slew of gear, which included a new pair of Gore Tex hiking boots. Something told me that I would sometimes need reprieve from my boots, so I went looking for a sandal that could be worn with a dress, worn in the shower, and yet still handle some hiking if my feet were dying to ditch the boots.

I found a sandal that does all of this in the Chaco Z/2. Unlike my boots, these sandals have never let me down in the category of comfort and durability. My boots were great, but they took some time to break in, which unfortunately became evident on day one on the Camino- crossing the Pyrenees into the fabled town of Roncesvalles.

My Chacos helped me salvage a touch of femininity after a long day on the trail when I would trade my geeky convertible pants for a simple dress and head to the bar for beer and olives. But, more importantly, they separated me from touching the shower when staying in hostels and dried quickly enough for early morning departures. I will also admit that I wore them with socks when shivering (in June) in the gorgeous mountain town of Cebreiro.

It was rare that I actually hiked in my Chacos on the Camino, but these days you might find me wearing the same pair of sandals headed climbing when the approach trail is short and sweet. I wore them the other day while tubing the Green River and often wear them around the house when my arches need some extra support. The attached picture is a crew of friends headed paddling on the Teton River, with several pairs of Chacos on board.

Six years later, my Z/2s are still going, in fact I just washed them in the washing machine for the first time today, and they look great all over again. The tread is still in great shape. Meanwhile, my hiking boots are nearing retirement even though I use them far less than my Chacos.

If you ever thought $95 was too much to spend on summer sandals, Chacos will change your mind because they do not disappoint.



Climb Globally, Shop Locally
Looking Glass Outfitters
69 Hendersonville Hwy
Pisgah Forest, NC 28768
828.884.5854
www.lookingglassoutfitters.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great review! Chaco sandals are created with durable materials. I absolutely agree that chacos will not disappoint you.