11/16/09

Montbell Burrow Stretch Bag - yummy!


The funny thing about Montbell, is once you try it, you are hooked. We have definitely found this to be true with our Thermawrap Parkas, which were our first true intro to the brand. Since Looking Glass Outfitters is one of a very small handful of Montbell dealers in North Carolina, we have quickly discovered that the brand has a loyal following, and with good reasoning.

Like a Snow Peak Stove, Montbell products immediately shine thanks to superior craftsmanship and design topped with reasonable prices. On a recent trip to Indian Creek, I took my new Spiral Down Hugger Sleeping Bag, eager to test out the bag's stretch system and award-winning design. I like to sleep with my legs in a bit of a pretzel fashion, so the stretch was a hugely important feature when picking out this bag. Phil was also motivated by the way I always borrowed his bag since my other bag is only rated at 40 degrees, making it perfect about 4-6 months of the year.

While the nights at Indian Creek were not as cold as we had envisioned, I was generally eager to pop into my bag at night once the sun went down and the temps began their rapid decline. The pillowy down is such a treat compared to synthetic bags that tend to be a bit more utilitarian. On a good night, I felt like I was surrounded by my down comforter at home. When it did dip below freezing, the neck waffle was a helpful feature to trap in heat around my head.

The other noticeable difference between a down bag and a synthetic sleeping bag is the ability of down to regulate temperatures better. The natural fiber of down simply seems to be superior for keeping you comfortable whether temps dip or not. Still, on the warmer nights, I unzipped the bottom zipper of the bag to let my feet breathe.

I don't feel like I tested the stretching ability of the bag to the max since I have plenty of room in it, but I was able to contort into a pretzel and do a few basic yoga moves in the morning to stretch out my back. I must confess, I am eager to take my Spiral Down Hugger out on colder nights, when it will really excel. This bag costs a pretty penny, but I am totally confident this piece will be in my gear arsenal for years to come. Come feel these Montbell sleeping bags for yourself, and you will likely be hooked as well!

No comments: